ROBERT PAUL SCHWEIKHER (1903-1997)
Schweikher was born in Denver CO to a family of musicians. He originally trained in engineering at the University of Colorado Boulder for a year (1921–22) before marrying Dorothy Miller. He moved with her to Chicago and studied at The Art Institute of Chicago while working for Lowe & Bollenbacher. After 2.5 years, he left to join David Adler and worked on the William McCormick Blair Estate in Lake Bluff IL. He later studied at the Armour Institute of Technology before again transferring to, and receiving a degree from, the Yale School of Architecture. He returned to Chicago in 1930 and collaborated with George Fred Keck and Philip Maher. His works were included in an exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art in 1933 and at the Century of Progress International Exposition. Schweikher joined Lamb and Elting in 1934 and eventually the firm became Schweikher and Elting. In 1953, Schweikher was named chairman of the Yale School of Architecture. Five years later, he became head of the Carnegie Mellon School of Architecture. He retired in 1970 and moved to Sedona AZ. His archives are at ASU. Bio adapted from Wikipedia.
1932 - The Charles W. Eliason Jr. House. Unbuilt.
1935 - The General Electric New American House aka General Electric Small House Competition. Plan appears in "Architectural Forum Magazine", June 1935. Designed with Theodore W. Lamb. The two architects won the $2,500 prize but also scrutiny that the plan was plagiarized from Harwell Hamilton Harris' Lowe house.
1936 - The Phoenix Williams House, Glen Ellyn IL. Probably unbuilt.
1937 - The Paul Schweikher-Langsdorf House and Studio, 645 South Meacham Road, Schaumburg IL. The house features a masterful integration of brick, glass, and wood, situated on seven and a half acres with gardens designed by the noted landscape architect Franz Lipp. Includes a massive brick fireplace, passive solar room, cantilevered construction, exposed wood beams, built-in furniture, Japanese soaking tub, and Zen Garden.
1938 - The Ideal Forum Farm. Probably unbuilt.
1939 - The Glenview Cooperative Community, Redwood Village, Redwood Lane, Glenview IL. 7 houses that were built for Northwestern University professors. The last house was built in 1946. Location approximately 1 mile from Fred Keck's Solar Park. Most houses have undergone remodeling. Example house built in 1942.
1939 - The Richard M. Lowenstein House, Highland Park IL. Built.
1940 - The Harry Goebel House, McHenry County IL.
1940 - The Dr. and Mrs. Stanley W. Burda House, 115 South Maple
Street, Mount Prospect IL. Built for their daughter.
When Dr. Burda died in 1943, the house was sold in 1944 to Jack
Cunningham. Sold in 1945 to Captain and Mrs. Vernon Gault
who added a garage. Sold to Frank Zupan. Sold in 1988 to
Peter Austin, owner as of 2014. In 2005 Austin
enlarged the dormers, added a copper roof, and enlarged the
roofline . P
. Photos by Peter Austin.
1940 - The Herbert Lewis House, Park Ridge IL. Project architect, William B. Fyfe.
1940 - The R. C. McVey House, Glen Ellyn IL. Unsure if built.
1940 - The K. M. LaSalle House, Hammond IN. Unsure if built.
1940 - The W. Hamilton Wilde House, Libertyville IL. Unsure if built. .
1941 - The William Fleming House, Highland Park IL. Unsure if built.
1941 - The Edward Koba House, DuPage County IL. Unsure if built.
1941 - The Maddock House, Lombard IL .
1941 - The Edward F. Kuba House, DuPage IL .
1941 - The Fred and Louis Upton Apartment Building, St. Joseph MI. Commissioned 1938. Probably unbuilt.
1942 - The Philip Rinaldo House, 1347 Turvey Road, Downers Grove IL. Sold to Andrew and Pamela Lamantia. Sold in 2012 to Edward and Jessica Ranquist.
1942 - The Charles F. Menninger House, 824 SW Anderson Terrace, Topeka KS. Address needs verification. Menninger opened several clinics in Topeka. Sold to Gary R. Downey, who destroyed it in 2011.
1943 - The Harry W. Goebel Farmhouse, Barrington IL.
1943 - The John Stone House.
Around 1945 - The Lawrence L. Parrish House, Glenview IL. Part of the Glenview development.
1946 - The Fred Decker House, Peoria IL .
1947 - The Loring C. Merwin Renovation, Bloomington IL. Unsure of status.
Around1947 - The Keeley Institute Dormitory, Dwight IL. Featured in Progressive Architecture, November 1947.
1948 - The Donald L. Berg House, 1001 Crescent Boulevard, Glen Ellyn IL. Commissioned 1947. Sold to Graham Heikes.
1950 - The Louis C. Upton House, Scottsdale AZ. Commissioned 1948. Destroyed in the 1970's. The original model is in the permanent collection of the New York City Museum of Art. The site was originally a 21 acre citrus orchard but is now part of downtown. Over the years, the building became an elite speakeasy and private club grill. Sold to P. B McGinniss, a retired Long Island Railroad president.
1948 - The Robert Browning House, Glenview IL .
1948 - The Edward Mead House. Probably unbuilt.
1950 - The Thomas Darlington House, Paradise Valley AZ .
. Commissioned 1948.
1949 - The Isaih Lew House, Usonia Homes, NY. Part of the Usonia Homes project started by Wright.
1949 - The Warren F. Wiggens House.
1949 - The K. C. Burhans House, Peoria IL.
1949 - The Edward Herbert Bennett House, Hunting Country Road, Tryon NC. Originally on several hundred acres. Project architect, Holland Brady. Appeared in Architectural Record, May 1952. Photos by Joseph Molitor. Bennett lived there for over 40 years. The blueprints were donated by Holland Brady to the Ryerson and Burnham Archives at the Art Institute of Chicago in 2004. Sold to Loren Smith.
1950 - The Luman Gray House, possibly at 360 Ridgeway Street, St. Joseph MI. This is the address he was living at when he died in 1952. Needs verification.
1950 - House for Structural Clay Products Institute, unsure if built. Featured in Brick and Clay Record, Volume 116-117, 1950.
1950 - The Finch House, Paradise Valley AZ.
1950 - The R. Harring, Jr. House, Highland Park IL.
1951 - The Pete Yanson House, 424 West 12th Street, Chicago Heights IL.Needs verification.
1952 - The Earl Oren House, Monterrey County CA.
1954 - House for Asbestos Cement Products, unsure if built. Clipping from The Baytown Sun.
1954 - The Alfred A. Schiller House, 734 Lenox Road, Glen Ellyn IL. Commissioned 1953. Originally built with no exterior windows. Rooms opened up to an interior courtyard. Addition by Keck and Keck Architects in 1964, including exterior windows, more bedrooms, and an attached garage. Gardens and courtyard design by Mary Moulton. Sold in 1957 to Louis and Louisa Kaberon. Sold in 2004 to Matt Nordloh who did a restoration. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2008. The property was on the arket for quite some time. Sold to adjacent neighbor Michael Bartenhagen in 2016 in a short sale. Destroyed.
1955 - The Maryville College, Women's Dormitory, Maryville TN.
Probably unbuilt, found nothing in their history in regards to
this building. Collection has several drawings .
1964 - The Callas and Bauer Apartment Building, Kittanning PA .
1966 - The Donald Berg House, Project, Mt. Washington,
Pittsburgh PA. Unbuilt .
1966 - The Pittsburgh Housing Authority, Low Cost Senior Housing, Bedford Avenue, Pittsburgh PA. Unsure if built. Featured in engineering News Record, Volume 187, 1966.
1967 - The Craig Wright House, Fox Chapel PA.
1972 - The Paul Schweikher House, Sedona AZ.
Year unknown - The Dushkin House and School, No location. Probably unbuilt.
Year Unknown - The Rowland Watts House.
Year Unknown - The Keith Carpenter House.
Year Unknown - The Peter Parker House.
Year Unknown - The Stuart H. Otis House.
Year Unknown - The Clare Tyler Studio.
Year Unknown - The A. P. Ross House.
Year Unknown - The Sprool House, New Haven CT.
Year Unknown - The Winston Elting House, Libertyville IL.
1954 - The Winston House, Liberty IL. May be the same house.
Year Unknown - The Frazel House, Wayne IL.
Year Unknown - The Rockwell House, Flossmoor IL.
Year Unknown - The David C. Johnson House, Chicago IL.
Year Unknown - The Ralph Guenther House, La Porte IN.
Year Unknown - Duquesee University Residence Hall. Unsure if built. He did design the Student Union.